Monday, May 12, 2008

Ubuntu journey - Hardy Heron

I just upgraded my ubuntu distro to Hardy Heron (8.0.4) from Gutsy Gibbon (7.10). I did not use it a lot when I had Gutsy but now, hearing about how much better the distros are getting everytime theres an upgrade, I am setting out to explore it more. The major difference I noticed in Hardy was that I am able to make ubuntu work on dual monitors directly without running additional scripts. In Gutsy, I actually had to run an XRANDR command everytime I logged in, so that I could switch it from clone mode to dual monitor mode. Not anymore in Hardy.

Further things I will be exploring on Ubuntu in the coming days:
- Printing and Scanning
- IPOD and music play
- Python, Django
- Java Development with Eclipse
- Ant, CVS, Tomcat
- MySQL

If I find that the above are easily setup and software development in that environment is as easy as windows, theres no reason why I should not completely switch to Ubuntu.

Oh I will have to go back to windows frequently though, since Cricket games for PC do not run on Linux yet!

No comments: